Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

I have just bought (second hand) what looks to be a very new

Customer Question

I have just bought (second hand) what looks to be a very new Craftsman, 9 hrspwr, 318 Tecumseh engine, 28", Electric Start, snow blower. It actually appears to be almost brand new. The problem I'm having is that it will crank perfectly (turn over), but will not actually start. I put new gas in it and a new spark plug with the correct gap. Set it on 'choke' because its a cold start, and the key is fully inserted into its slot. Oil looks brand new and is at proper level. It just cranks and cranks...but wont start! Can you suggest anything
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: that's everything
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 10 months ago.

Hello, did you check for spark? If there is spark try squirting a little carb cleaner directly into th carb to see if it fires.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Vince, NO spark!! Maybe a coil?

Look where the switch is and pull out the green wire lead from it and recheck for spark. Move the throttle control up too so you know it's not making contact with the switch.

Expert:  Vince O. replied 9 months ago.

Did it fire at all?