Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Just purchased a XT1 GT 50 lawn tractor. Got it home started

Customer Question

Just purchased a XT1 GT 50 lawn tractor. Got it home started cutting grass that is about 3" tall. With less than .3 of an hour belt has came off 2 times. Flat yard, seems to not be any thing to keep belt on front of mower deck
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Hello Robert. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. I would like to clarify something. Which one of your pulleys is your belt coming off of?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Front pulley, the one that goes around the engine
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This is on the mower deck. It is a 50" deck with 3 blades, 1 belt
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Is this a brand new mower? Does your belt appear to be tight enough, after you put it back on?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
brand new, have less than 1 hour on unit.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Please take a look at the image below.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Does all of the pulleys I highlighted in the image, appear to be spinning true, without wobble, although they are all new?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
they seem to be fine, when I put the belt back on the first time and fired it back up the belt did smoke a little , cut about 50 ft and came back off
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

These are only troubleshooting questions ...

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for this information. The smoke is an indication that you have a partially seizing bearing in one of your pulleys, or your belt is running outside of one of your belt guards/keepers.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have check the belt it is back correct , the only belt keeper is on the tension pulley that is spring loaded. All units I have had in the past has also had one beside the engine pulley to keep it on the front
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for checking. I was concerned about your belt smoking. I pulled up an image of your mower, and it does not show a belt keeper for pto clutch pulley.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Have you considered taking your mower back for a possible exchange? This is not your fault, based upon so little use.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can do that. Is this a common problem on these Cub Cadet mowers ? If so maybe I need to look for something else
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

To be honest, I have not seen many problems, of this nature with Cub Cadet lawn tractors. I am sure this is an isolated problem. It would be extremely rare to get another new mower, that will initially have this same problem. If the place you purchased your mower, will work with you, I would stick with this make and model.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, yes they have said to bring it back. I had a Cub 30 years ago and it was a great machine then, but I know MTD makes them now and not the same quality as they were then. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome! Robert, I truly hope all goes well for you.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

I agree with the statement you made above.