Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Briggs an Stratton engine that was stored months.

Customer Question

I have a Briggs an Stratton engine that was stored for 8 months. Engine has less than ten hours on it. I drained out all the old gas. Put new gas in it. It still wouldn't start so I drained the bowl made sure it was firing. Carbreauter a is like it is not getting fuel even tho bowl is full. Removed bowl to make sure jets were not clogged still won't start. What should I try next. Kill switch was also checked with spark plug out to verify it was working.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.

Was the float bowl full of fuel? If you put fuel direct into the spark plug hole, re-install spark plug will engine run for a few seconds? What is application? Snow blower or mower? Model number of application

Did you remove the needle valve? Is it needle with rubber tip or an all metal needle?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Needle valve was cleaned an removed as well. It had a rubber tip. With gas in the cylinder it ran for a few seconds.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's actually a motor that runs a shingle hoist ladder I believe that it is just gummed up by not sure where.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Seams like it's the carb. Is there any trick to cleaning it more. Or would it have to be rebuilt or replaced.

Do you have engine model number? Example(###) ###-####B1??? Here is a basic carburetor, it can be cleaned, the main jet is the usual problem, or the needle valve and float stuck.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Getting model number now.

ok

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Only number s on it is that it was made in 2012. It's 205cc Intek 900.

Looks like this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
would you recommend to pull the jets. Clean them. Or replace the carb. Any idea what expense would be? When I just tried to start it. If I tap on top of the carb lightly while I pull the cord it fires but won't maintain it or stay running.

It can be cleaned, but a new carburetor is easier option, but either way, you are going to have to find the model number! Did the link I sent look like yours?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am looking for the owners Manuel. It resembles one in the second site has two upper intake hoses gas in an vacuum then the breather filter on the side bit has a governor on top that I didn't see in the photos.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My engine model number is (###) ###-####8.
Serial number is. 1203088832304
Briggs an Stratton
205cc Intek 900