JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

My power curve just stopped suddenly. Three years old. Never

Customer Question

Hi
My power curve just stopped suddenly. Three years old. Never done anything to it. What can I look to do. Thanks. Chuck.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Can you provide a little more information about what happened? Does the engine still run? If not, have you taken the spark plug out and inspected it or replaced it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is an all electric blower. No spark plug
It just stopped in the middle of the job as if we're unplugged. I tried new extension cords. Nothing.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I have been so used to answering gas powered questions for the last two days that I just assumed it was a gas powered machine.

Do you hear any kind of noises coming the motor when you try to operate it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No nothing. Is there a fuse I this unit that I m not aware of?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

There are no fuses but the motor does have a thermal protection relay in it that if the motor gets too hot it will shut if off in order to keep from doing serious damage to the motor. Once it cools off it should come back on an run again. It sounds like the thermal relay make have tripped. Had you been using it for a while when this happened?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In really high snow. I'll try it now that it s cooled off and get back to you shortly vthx
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It may need to sit for a little while to cool off before it will come back on but I do believe that is what has happened. You have probably gotten it hot enough to trip the thermal relay and when it does it won't come back on until the motor cools back down. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bummer. Still does work. Very cool now. Hasn't been used for hours. Another thought is the grey plug at the top of the handle. It's inserted but what does it do?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It is a safety key that will not allow the machine to run if it is not in place. As long as it is fully inserted there should be no problem with it.

You may have damaged the motor if you have been running it in heavy snow for an extended length of time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Possible . I ll need to send it to the manufacturer I guess. Thanks.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Or at least an authorized repair center to have it repaired, however cost of repair may be as much as a new machine.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.