Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Can you tell me if I submitted this question to the right

Customer Question

Can you tell me if I submitted this question to the right category :)
I just bought a used Ariens 10995 Snow thrower. I have attached the user manual I downloaded from Ariens’ website for that model, but it hardly has anything useful in it.
1. Could you forward me a link where I can get a more detailed manual?
2. It turns on fine, but when I go to more power mode, it is not strong enough to through the snow. What might be the issues?
3. Do I need to add anything to the fuel (stabilizer, oil, etc.)? Do I need to put high octane gas
I appreciate any suggestions you may have on troubleshooting this problem.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Is this the first time you are starting your engine in a while? Did you leave fuel inside your fuel tank over the summer months? These are only troubleshooting questions.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
tank was empty (at max 2 oz). I put fresh gas (93).
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

The reason I am asking, is because it is very likely that our problem is carburetor related.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I also sprayed carburetor cleaner
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for this information. The fuel stabilizer will not help at this point. You will need some Seafoam, or some Mechanic In A Bottle.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Are you snowed in?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the car is snowed in for sure :) why you ask?
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

The reason I asked, is because if you could make it to a store, the Mechanic In A Bottle is designed to clean your carburetor for you, without you having to remove it from your engine.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Otherwise, you will need to do at least a basic cleaning to your carburetor.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
which of them is better, Mechanic In A Bottle or Seafoam and how much of it I should add?
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

I personally would have to recommend the Mechanic In A Bottle. I have used it, and it have worked really well, many times. I have heard great things about Seafoam, but I have never personally used it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
if I understood correctly I add 1oz per 1 gallon of gas. If the engine is still weak should I add more "Mechanic In A Bottle" to the fuel in the tank? Please explain
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

The two oz. of gas left inside your fuel tank, meant that the fuel bowl on your carburetor, had enough gas remaining, to contaminate your carburetor, and partially clog the small jet, and fuel passages in the body of your carburetor. It doesn't take very much.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was able to turn it on, right away.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

You cannot over use this product. I would use the entire bottle ...

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Hopefully this will resolve our problem, without you having to disassemble, and clean your carburetor.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If the entire bottle is used the product is definitely overused.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Is your fuel tank fuel of gas?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
At max 0.5 gallon was added. Do you know the gas tank size? Can you help me find a complete user manual?
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

I will check to see if I can locate a manual for you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
did you see the one I sent to you
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome! Yes I did see it. I have searched, and I could not find a more detailed manual.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what is the oil I read that needs to be added to the snow blower?
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

I will check for you.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Are you referring to your engine, or to your gear case?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
none. For the fuel tank
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

I am not aware of an oil for your fuel/gas tank ...

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't know if this model snow blower has a 2 cycle engine, but for 2 cycle engine's you need to add oil:
http://www.mtdparts.com/equipment/mtdparts/knowledge-center/maintenance/mix-oil-fuel-2-cycle-mowerIf you don't know if I should add any oil to the oil tank, can you let other experts answer? Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

If you can get the make and model numbers from your engine, I will check to see if your engine is 2 cycle.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ariens 10995. Please forward the user manual if you find it. Thanks
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

I was unable to locate a user manual for you. If you can get the information from your engine, I can tell you, if your engine is a 2 cycle, or a 4 cycle engine. Thanks!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what other info you need beside the model and brand?
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

The numbers for your engine are different from the model numbers for your snowblower frame.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
isn't all the engines for the same model number have the same engine specs
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

The model and spec numbers varies from snowblower to snowblower, although made by same manufacturer. Some are 2 cycle, some are 4 cycle. You are needing to know if your engine is 2 cycle. I rather not guess.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Unfortunately I used the Mechanic In A Bottle and no change.
Can you forward me videos or details on how to clean the carburetor and fuel lines manually for Ariens 10995 Snowblower?
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

I will be away from my computer until 4:30 pm central time. I will check for a video for you, after I back. Did you find a name, or identifying numbers on your engine? With this information, I can get the most appropriate video for you.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

If you can take a picture of your engine, this will also help. Thanks!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The engine is a 4 cycle one, so it doesn't require oil in the fuel tank.
****Unfortunately I used the Mechanic In A Bottle and no change.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Hello. How are you tonight? Did you find any numbers on your engine? This way I can check for a video that matches your engine.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, I couldn't find a number
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't understand why you insist that 2 snow blowers with exact brand and model, can have different engines and carburetors
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

I did not find a video that is specific to your engine, but I did find a few general videos that shows how to clean your carburetor. I do believe your engine is a Tecumseh engine. Have you already removed your carburetor from your engine?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I have not. I am waiting for your instructions. Can you forward them to me?
Thanks