Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Kawaski fc420v-as10 engine. no spark.

Customer Question

john deere 172 w/ kawasaki fc420v-as10 engine. I have changed initiator, coil, and plug. still no spark. I used a business card for the .10 gap. Is the new coil bad? I will shock you if you hold it in your hand but nothing to ground or plug. kill wire is unplugged.

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 10 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.Based on what you have already changed I would say that you might have received a bad coil. Make certain that you don't have the coil mounted upside down however, if you do it will normally not work or fire. You might just try flipping it over and see if it solves the problem.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

the coil wire is to short if i flip it over, it will not reach to plug. have you eve heard of a magnet being bad on these engines? it will hold a screw driver to it

I have seen it one time in my thirty years of doing small engine repair. If it will hold a a medium size screwdriver upright on it then you should be fine. Have you tried unplugging the ground wire that goes back to the switch to isolate the wiring and switch as a possible problem?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i have unplugged the white ground wire so the coil is only bolted on to the engine.

You can't unplug that wire from the coil, if you do the coil will not work. That wire is also attached to the igniter which actually triggers the coil to fire. You will have to unplug the ground wire prior to the igniter to do any test.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok, with the initiator connected to the coil, but white wire disconnected after. i get no spark at the plug. tried 2 different plugs and nothing. I can get a small spark if i use a screwdriver to the frame...but it's like a .10 gap to get anything

It does sound like you have a bad ignition coil, it is not producing enough voltage to jump the gap on the spark plug. Since you are getting a spark at if you get it close enough tells me that the igniter has to be working properly.