Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a new Troy Built 2100 snow blower. It will not start.

Customer Question

I have a new Troy Built 2100 snow blower. It will not start. Ethanol free gas, full tank and oil are new and check out. What do I need to do?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Is this the first time that you have tried to start it? It is brand new? Have you checked to see if you are getting spark to the spark plug?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is brand new. I have not tried the spark test. I am not sure where the plug is. When I use the electric start it cranks but will not start. Is this irrelevant to the spark plug and would happen regardless?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
John, are you still there?

Sorry, I had stepped away. It cranking is going to happen regardless. If there is no spark to plug then the engine is not going to start and run. It being a brand new machine I would recommend that you take it back to where you purchased it or to an authorized dealer to have it repaired under the warranty. You can check for spark before doing that however to make certain that is either is or isn't firing.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How do I access the plug and do a spark test on my snowblower?

You will need to remove the cover that is on the back of the machine in order to gain access to the spark plug.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. So once I have access how do I determine if I have a spark?

The easiest way is to remove the spark plug from the engine, insert it back into the spark plug wire, hold it against something metal around the engine area and crank the engine while watching to see if you get a spark at the plug.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. I'll be back in a while.

Let me know what you find.