Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

The snow blower won't stay on unless I keep the choke on and

Customer Question

Customer: the snow blower won't stay on unless I keep the choke on and full throttle
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the snow blower won't stay on unless I keep the choke on and full throttle. After running it for about 2 hours it shut down
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be assisting you.

It sounds like you have gotten some trash into the jet on the carburetor which is causing a partial blockage and you have to keep the choke on in order to get enough fuel through the carburetor for it to run properly. If you will remove the bowl from the bottom of the carburetor and clean it as well as the bolt/nut that holds the bowl on you should solve the running problem.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will try that although I'm not mechanically inclined Does changing the oil have anything to do with it?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can't see where the valve is to change the oil in a Troy Bilt model 42010

No, changing the oil isn't going to help your problem. The carburetor is on the left side of the engine if you are standing behind the machine, it has a heater box or cover over it. You may be able to get to the bowl by just going up under the cover if it is open on the bottom, if not you will have to remove the cover in order to get to it.