Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I was plowing snow and before I totally release the parking

Customer Question

I was plowing snow and before I totally release the parking brake I hit the gas and locked up the gears can't go forward or back what do I do
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 10 months ago.

Hello, check to see if it threw a belt off and jammed. Lift the seat to remove the battery to look at transmission and fan.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a craftsman Yt 4000 the only thing you see when you lift up my seat is the gas tank
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
CanMove brake release pedal or forward or reverse pedal

Have you had a look under the chassis to see if belt came off a pulley and is jammed?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The only belt I have is for the deck and the deck is off

There is a transmission belt above it. Here is a diagram of the routing.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Belts on but very loose

Can you see the transmission pulley? It might of came off it. Inspect the plastic fan to make sure the blades aren't damaged.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can't get to it right now the gas tanks there you can't help me I'm in the middle of a blizzard

You may have to crawl underneath to look. The drive belt should not be real loose. I can opt out if you wish

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Don't understand what you mean you can opt out
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I only have a carport I can't go out there right now to tear everything apart the only way that I can look at that plastic fan and pulley as if I take the gas tank off and it's getting dark right now is still snowing so I'm screwed

I understand that but you may need to investigate to find the source. I can opt out to allow others to try to help you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok

Were you able to look underneath to see if belt was off tranny pulley?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think the problem is because the engine will start I believe the parking brake is jammed up and III cant on Jan I can't release the parking brake

My theory is the belt could have jumped off and is under the tranny pulley creating the slack in the belt and tractor not moving. Unless you can jack it up and safely have a look you and me are guessing. If we can't verify if the belt is on the tranny I can not help you, sorry.