Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

I have a new Honda GX200 motor i'm installing on a

Customer Question

I have a new Honda GX200 motor i'm installing on a cyclekart. It didn't come with a electric start so I bought a starter kit and installed it. I neglected to take a picture of all the accellerator/governer springs.Now when I start the engine it runs for a while then stops. I try to give it gas with the throttle and nothing happens. I think the first thing I should try is the way I installed the springs.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If the engine runs for a while, then dies, the springs are ok. Look for a reason the fuel would be restricted, or plugged before the carburetor, or the fuel tank. You are loosing the fuel!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that. I removed the fuel line on the side away from the fuel tank and fuel was flowing.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Check tank for something loose in it.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Plugging the outlet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fuel was coming from the fuel line at the carburetor.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, but was it when the engine quits!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after the engine quit i removed the clamp and the fuel was flowing freely.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Fuel isn't getting to the engine in quantity to keep it running. That tells me, either fuel supply or the carburetor is problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i tried removing the air cleaner and adding fuel with little to no difference.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

How long does engine run? How long before it will restart? Is fuel tank venting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its different overtime. Yesterday it ran for maybe a minute but not very strong. It restarts right away. What do you mean by venting?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Fuel tank has to be vented, or the fuel will not keep draining due to vacuum.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
everytime
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what does that mean? How do i ensure that is happening?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Try it with the fuel cap loose or off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I started the engine and then took the cap off and it ran for almost a minute then stopped. When I tried to restart it with the cap off it would turn over but not start. Then i put the cap back on it started but then stop again. I toggled the throttle lever but it has absolutely no effect. Its as if I'm not touching it.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Is fuel tank and hose ,old , from before engine swap? You may have debris in the in passage of the carburetor, the passage where the needle valve is. Just a small piece of trash from old hose or tank can plug it and restrict the fuel to engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a brand new engine bought from Northern Tools
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

So fuel tank is part of the engine package. Not a separate tank. Has to be a carburetor problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its all new right out of the box. is there a way to blow out the carburetor, maybe with my compressor?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I am assuming that it is not losing spark. So all it can be is the carb. Remove the float bowl, and the needle valve, remove the fuel line and blow from the needle valve seat area, outward. Air compressor will be ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i took off the bowl and the carburetor blew them all out and reinstalled and its still the same
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
once it starts i don't understand why when i toggle the throttle lever it doesn't change the rpm or anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

See page 23 for springs.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Check these out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Yes? I am here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i still didn't get a resolution to my honda gx200 issue last night
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you look at the link and determine if you have the springs in the right place?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'm just getting those now. I'll look at them now.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still can't find a picture that shows which of the holes the springs attach to.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Let me opt out! Maybe someone has a service manual that shows the linkage. I don't have it. Sorry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for trying
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, there are two springs, an anti surge spring on the solid link to the carb and the gov spring from gov lever to the throttle lever. Do you need location hook upp for both?