Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My snowblower won't start. It cranks but won't catch. I put

Customer Question

My snowblower won't start. It cranks but won't catch. I put in a new sparkplug, gas is fresh, oil in. Feels like it isn't getting air or gas. Where's the carbeurator/air intake on a Craftsman 208cc 2 stage? Can I spray ether on it to get it to start?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Hello Bruce. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Did you have gas left inside your fuel tank since last snowing season? This is just a troubleshooting question.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Let's try something. Remove your spark plug again, and pour about a teaspoon of fresh gas into your spark plug hole. Re-insert your spark plug, then try starting your engine again.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

If your engine starts up, and run briefly, this will indicate that your carburetor likely have a clogged jet or fuel passage inside.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It'll have to wait until morning, I need to borrow my neighbor's spark plug socket. I'll let you know after that. But if that works, what do I do next, to clean carb?
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

You will need to remove your fuel bowl, and doing a basic cleaning initially. Many times a basic cleaning will work for you. If not, you will need to remove your carburetor, and do a more detailed cleaning.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

I will be here in the morning, to work with you. Can you get the model numbers from your engine for me?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's the Craftsman 26" snow thrower, model###-##-#### ***** a Briggs and Stratton 208 cc Family YBSXS.3192VA. 274812.
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for this information.