Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I'm having trouble starting my Toro 518ZE snowblower.
,

Customer Question

Customer: I'm having trouble starting my Toro 518ZE snowblower.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Full tank. Oil is at the right level. I press the primer, get maybe 2 seconds of engine and then it stops It feels like I'm getting a spark and it's using the fuel from the primer but not getting fuel from the fuel line. Does that make sense?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. I am Donald. I will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

I would like to ask you a troubleshooting question.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Did you drain your fuel tank, and your carburetor, at the end of the last snow season?

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Based upon the symptoms you are describing, you have a partially clogged jet inside your carburetor. Are you familiar with removing your fuel bowl?

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

If so, remove your fuel bowl and clean it, and the underside of your carburetor. Use a small wire and some carburetor cleaner in a can, to clean every small hole you see. You can use a twist tie from a loaf of bread, to clean the holes. Just remove the outer coating from it.

Expert:  Donald replied 10 months ago.

Follow up with some compressed air, if you have an air compressor. You and I can continue from here. Thanks!