Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

MY Name is ***** *****. I'm having trouble starting my

Customer Question

Customer: MY Name is ***** *****. I'm having trouble starting my Honeywell 5500 generator and we have a major blizzard approaching. It doesn't seem to produce a spark as nothing happens when I spray starter fluid in the air intake. Could this mean the low oil shut off is preventing start?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm having trouble starting my Honeywell 5500 generator and we have a major blizzard approaching. It doesn't seem to produce a spark as nothing happens when I spray starter fluid in the air intake. Could this mean the low oil shut off is preventing start?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Yes, it could be that the low oil sensor is keeping it from firing. I assume that you have checked the oil level and made certain that the engine is full. The switch is turned on. If it won't start even with starting fluid sprayed directly into the throat of the carburetor and you have verified that there is no spark at the spark plug. You can bypass the oil sensor by just unplugging it from the wiring o the right side of the engine, it is normally a small yellow wire coming out of the side of the engine block and going up to the switch.