Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have this particular generator (McCulloch FG2000Tc). After

Customer Question

Customer: I have this particular generator (McCulloch FG2000Tc). After wondering why it started, then stalled (as if gas-starved) for about 10 pulls of the cord before it finally stayed running, I opened up the side panel to see a profuse gas leak coming down the side of the engine from behind the carb. I'm guessing it's just a seal, but wanted to confirm. It leaks while running, and while not, but since I never noticed any gas vapors while around it while not running, I'm guessing it stops leaking after it's set for a while after trying to start/running it. Perhaps just the bowl emptying.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Gotta love the one-key responses...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Have you removed your fuel bowl, to see if your float is sticking, or if your float is leaking?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

There are a few possibilities.

• Your needle and seat could be dirty, with a small amount of debris.
  • Your float could have a hole in it.
  • Your float could be sticking
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

After you remove your fuel bowl, you will get a view of these parts.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You and I can start with checking these suggestions, then we can continue from here. Thanks!

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Your bowl gasket/seal is likely ok. If your float, needle, and seat, was shutting off your fuel flow properly, gas would not rise that high inside your fuel bowl.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try to get it onto a bench and tear into it. My job is taking a huge amount of what would normally be my "free time", so it could be into next week before I can do this. Is that a problem?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

No this is not a problem. Take your time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I've printed your responses and will attack it asap.
When I log on, I'll automatically be directed to you, correct?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you are correct. I look forward to working with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took time to get into it today. As soon as I removed the air intake assembly (air filter and ducting that carries the air to the carb) I could see the fuel line that attaches to the carb at one end and to a cut-off module(?) at the other end. With the start switch in the "OFF" position I pulled the starter cord once. Fuel immediately began to seep through age/heat checking of the fuel line right where it shoves onto the intake nipple at the carb. I ran off to the parts store, bought new fuel line, and it's good as new again. Guess I'll take a lesson from this and skip obligating myself for online assistance until AFTER I've LOOKED at the problem MYSELF. I don't suppose you could "discount" the charge since it turned out to be something so simple?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for letting me know. I am glad you discovered where the gas was leaking from. If you contact customer service, they will close your question, and you will not be charged.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Totally unexpected and most kind of you. Good business approach. Thanks! Now to find "Customer Service".
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Your satisfaction is very important to me. There should be a link to customer service on your discussion page.