Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Briggs and Stratton 5500 Watt generator I purchased

Customer Question

I have a Briggs and Stratton 5500 Watt generator I purchased on 10/28/2012. I used it for only two or three weeks when I bought it. I left the gas in it from that time until today. I put fuel stabilizer in it at that time. I can't start today, any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Fuel stabilizer is great for short term storage but does not work well when stored that long. I would suspect that you have the main jets in your carburetor stopped up and will need to thoroughly clean the carburetor. You can try removing the air filter and spraying a little carburetor cleaner or fuel directly into the throat of the carburetor and see if it will start then or at least fire like it wants to run. If it does then you will need to clean the carburetor jets which should take care of the problem.