JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

My craftsman snow blower does not start. I cleaned gas tank

Customer Question

My craftsman snow blower does not start. I cleaned gas tank and put fresh gas in and replaced the spark plug with .025 gap as in operations manual
Very disappointing as the blower is 3 years old and only used it 2-3x's
Hope you can help
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

What happens if you spray a little carburetor cleaner or fuel directly into the throat of the carburetor? Will it at least fire and run a little then?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thought about it but have no carb cleaner like Gumout? Engine cranks but doesn't catch starter just spins

My thought is that you are probably not getting fuel through the main jet on the carburetor which would cause the engine to not start. If you had a carburetor cleaner or even just a little bit of fuel that you could get into the throat of the carburetor to try and start it would tell you for sure. The only other thing that you could do is clean the main jet in the carburetor thoroughly.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I saw you can add fuel to carb throat. How do it get into the carb? I have to take about 6 screws out just to change a spark plug foolish design. So big question is how do I get the the carb throat?My son is going out to get some GumOut

Just from what I can tell off of your model information it looks like this machine has the MTD built engine on it. In order to get to the main jet in the carburetor you would have to remove the bowl from the carburetor and the jet is in the center of the stem that is sticking down, you can remove it with a small flat tip screwdriver. Make certain to clean it thoroughly and reinstall it, this should take care of your problem.

You may have to remove a cover that is over the carburetor, if you are standing behind the machine the carburetor will normally be on the left side of the engine.

Try the Gumout and see what happens and then you can decide what the next step will be for you. My guess is that you will need to clean the main jet.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Question is how do I get the carb throat and then the jet?
Is there an online video on how to do this?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay, to be sure the carb is in black box over the spark plug which is also on the left side.I need to remove the cover thats over the ignition, choke etc. to get at the carb box ANy tips?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thanks will let you know what happens

Let me know what you find. You can come back to this conversation at any time and continue.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do I have to tie the fuel tnk off to do this on the MTD engine?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
take fuel tank off, sorry

No you should not have to, everything should be accessible from the bottom side without removing the tank.