Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

My craftsman snow blower won't start... any ideas? Yes

Customer Question

My craftsman snow blower won't start... any ideas? Yes -followed all start procedures fresh gas- only one season old- used maybe 4 times
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. I will need to ask you some troubleshooting questions as we go. Did you drain your fuel tank at the end of your last season?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your response. The gas that was left inside your fuel tank, has very likely contaminated your carburetor. Gas will began to turn stale within thirty days, from date of purchase, if fuel stabilizer is not used. Stale gas will turn to gum and varnish, and eventually clog the small jets and fuel passages inside the body of your carburetor.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

What brand is your engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, my bad, but what do I do now to fix it and get this thing running??? Big snow coming Sat
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Are you familiar with cleaning carburetors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Basically, yes, Can I use a spray can of carb and choke cleaner???
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You can first try a basic cleaning. This consist of removing your fuel bowl, and cleaning it, and also clean the underside of your carburetor. You can use some compressed air, a small wire, and some carburetor cleaner in a can, to clean every small hole you see, after you remove your fuel bowl.

Mechanic In A Bottle

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Also click on the link above. This fuel additive is designed to clean your carburetor, without removing it. These are two options you have without removing your carburetor.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If this does not work for you, you will need to remove your carburetor, and give it a more detailed cleaning.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Try the fuel additive first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try all options above. If it comes down to pulling the carb , I'll leave that up to a qualified xpert. Thanks for your help, Don, wish me luck!
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome! I truly hope all goes well for you. I hope you get it done before the snow arrives. I wish you all the luck in this world!

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Just take your time. I believe you can do it.