JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

My name is ***** ***** I brought a Briggs & Stratton 30466 3

Customer Question

Customer: Hi My name is ***** ***** I brought a Briggs & Stratton 30466 3 years ago and had it for emergency if power went out. Never started and never put oil in it until I need it. I was away for work and my wife decided she wanted use generator for activities at a party with no power around. So she started generator without putting oil in it. Now seems like crank is locked. I s there any low oil shutoff that stop it or am I screwed. thank you for your help.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I try to pull start the generator but no luck
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you.

Unfortunately for you this machine apparently did not have a oil sensor on it otherwise it would have never started. If she started and run it with no oil in it then it has most likely done some serious internal damage to the crank, connecting rod, cylinder walls and piston. You could consider taking the engine apart and looking and rebuilding but in most cases it would cost more to do than what you could purchase another generator for.

The oil sensor is designed to kill the spark in the event that there is no oil, in which case she would have never been able to get it started if the machine were equipped with an oil sensor. I am sorry to have to give you the bad news.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

If you have additional questions feel free to ask, I am here to assist you.

Thank you.