JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Dear sirs, I just purchased a 15kw ultra source generator

Customer Question

Dear sirs, I just purchased a 15kw ultra source generator used. The guy that sold it told me it smoked a little when it started and cleared up after a minute...it smokes do bad after 10 minutes of running i was scared to run it any longer. In fact, it was so bad That when I shut it down I noticed oil dripping out of the exhaust. Is there any chance that this could be something other than a major issue in the engine?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It could be a blown head gasket, a crankcase breather assembly gone bad, an air leak from some other external source allowing air to enter the crankcase and develop a crankcase pressurization problem which would then blow oil out of the engine, the crankcase breather tube could be pinched causing a back pressure. So, in answer to your question, Yes, there are several other possible causes of your problem.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information! Now that you say that it makes sense why when I shut it off I actually heard a "hiss" for 5-10 seconds. Can you tell me if the crankcase breather is acceable without tearing into too much? When you mention head gaskets I'm just concerned with this being a DOHC that it will be rather complicated project in a hurry.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

The crankcase breather should be pretty easy to access, you should be able to follow the hose backwards from the air filter base over to it.

A DOHC engine will be a complicated project if you have to replace the head gaskets. Timing is everything when you put it back together.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any chance you have a manual or a link where I could go to get a manual for my particular motor? Eng. Ident. NO. 0E6221, 992cc, serial #(###) ###-####
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, I don't have a manual for that one. I can't find anywhere online that they offer one for free download. I did find one place that offers an engine manual for sale and I am including that link here.

http://www.milfordpower.com/0F6923-Genuine-Generac-OHVI-V-Twin-Engine-Servic-p/0f6923.htm

I hope that this helps you.