Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Onan 9MDKAV Generator • Starts Up & Shuts Right Off • Gives

Customer Question

Onan 9MDKAV Generator
• Starts Up & Shuts Right Off
• Gives Shut Down Code of 36
• We have gone through the troubleshooting section of the service manual
• Replaced the Voltage Regulator
• Replaced the Control Board
• Output voltage goes to 250V for 1 second then to 0V then engine shuts down.
• Bypassed the Shutdown Circuit, the engine runs flawlessly.
• Ohmed out Stator & Rotor Ok.
Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

First, I need the full model number of the genset, exactly as it appears on the data label.

I will also need the serial number.

Then I would like you to manually retrieve the code from the genset. A code 36 has nothing to do with voltage.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.

This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.

The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.

This will be the Fault Code.

Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.

There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).

The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.

There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.

For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.

If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Hank,The Data Label reads: Onan 9MDKAV-2867 Spec A. Serial Number: I030544783; however, it may be(###) ###-####as the sticker is blurry in my picture.When I try the steps you mentioned to find the fault code, nothing happens. I had someone press the "STOP" button the number of times you said and nothing happened. They did press it a total of about 15 times in a 1 minute period to see if maybe they were doing something wrong. I did confirm that they were following the instructions. This is a new symptom.Thank you,
Angel
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

If it is shutting itself off, it is setting a code. You are probably not doing the procedure correctly.

I have made a short video showing the proper way to read the code.

Click here to see the video.

And in your serial number, the first digit will be the letter "I" - the first one is always a letter.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Were you able to retrieve the code yet?