JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

EXMark Lazer Z 60" mower won't start. changed the ignition

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** EXMark Lazer Z 60" mower won't start. changed the ignition swithc, battery is good when I turn the switch on and pull out the PTO i heart a click so I know its getting electric [ower
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: did you get my second post?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Small Engine Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Can you tell me more about what it does when you try to start it? Does it click or make any noises? Have you checked to make sure all of the safety switches are activated, brake is locked on, both control levers are in the out neutral position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing happens, no clicks or other sounds. Checked the fuses-ok; control levers in neutral; parking brake is on....
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a volt meter in order to do some voltage checks or test? We can check to see where the problem is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Is there someone that you can borrow a meter from? It is going to be really hard to isolate the problem if you don't have a tester.

It could be the ignition switch bad internally that is not passing voltage through it to the starter solenoid in order to start. It could be one of the safety switches that have gone bad. You can bypass the safety switches by unplugging the connector on the back of the switch and placing a jumper wire between the two terminals in the connector.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its nighttime here. I may try that tomorrow. Thanks
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I will be available tomorrow if you need assistance. Feel free to come back here and continue our conversation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I am available if you need additional assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to take it to a shop Monday. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I appreciate the update and hope that everything goes well for you. Hope that they get it figured out and that it is a fairly simple repair.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.