Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I have a &S standby generator model 40243A that will start

Customer Question

I have a B&S standby generator model 40243A that will start and run for 5-10 seconds then shut off, this repeats 6 times until fault code 4 appears. Air cleaner, battery, plug, oil etc all fine. Starts good and sounds good while running for the 5-10 seconds.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Check for any fuel restrictions that may be causing this fault here like a kinked or damaged fuel line or an issue with a restricted fuel filter needing replaced.I have seen these cause this type of fault here before needing corrected to resolve this issue.If this is all found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Pete,
Thanks for writing me.
I am working on a Nat Gas generator. All lines look good. It feels more like an electronics issue, as if the engine is sensing something wrong.
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Your welcome

The code 4 usually indicates a fault was detected with the engine failing to start.

There were some issues with the stator and rotor failing causing this issue on this model here.In order to find out for sure usually a certified repair man will need to inspect and test this to see if they need replaced on this model here.

Thanks Pete