Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have Poulan md.p4018wt chainsaw will not run good

Customer Question

I have Poulan md.p4018wt chainsaw will not run good compression 140, new carb. New fuel lines, new spark plug good fuel will fire but will not stay running.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

When it does fire what are you doing in order to get it to fire? Anything special outside of just normal starting procedure? I am wondering if the fuel lines may be hooked up wrong on the primer and carburetor, just a thought.

You should have the main fuel supply line with the filter on it inside the fuel tank(smaller line) going to the barb fitting on the outer edge of the carburetor. Than a line going from the barb fitting that is more near the center of the carburetor body over to the suction side of the primer bulb. Then from the discharge side of the primer you would have a line going back into the fuel tank. This is where most people make the mistake of hooking up the lines wrong and the machine will fire one time if at all because when you push the primer you instantly flood it. If it does fire it will only run long enough to burn out your prime because it can't suck anymore fuel from the tank due to lines being hooked up wrong. It would be worth at least checking to make sure that the lines are all hooked up properly.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
John checked fuel lines there are in the right place. Put the choke on full saw will revup and stop acks lick it is running out of gas. Set low speed jet 1 1/2 turns out hi speed jet 1 3/4 turns out they say it should run? Maybe need to open jets more?

It should run at 1 1/2 turns out on both jets if it is going to. You may have to fine tune it from there but that is normal factory settings for the majority of the machines. There has to be something that it causing it to not get enough fuel to it. Since you have a new carb, new fuel lines, it just about has to be the orientation of the lines and not be hooked up in the right places. Does the saw start easily(within a few pulls) when you do get it started?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
With the carb. In place the Barb on right side tords bottom of carbs. I hooked the line with the fuel filter in the tank to that Barb, on the primer balb there is a in word on the balb I hooked that line to the Barb on the left side of the carb.the other line on the primer balb goes back to tank. When I try to start the saw I put it on full choke in one or two pulls it will start up revup and stop.

Just from the information that you are providing it sounds like everything is hooked up correctly. The only other thing that I can think of that might cause it to not run properly is if the isolator flange between the carburetor and the cylinder is loose allowing it to suck air and not suck fuel properly, when choked it will get enough fuel to run but once the choke is turned off it is not getting enough fuel to keep it running. The carburetor adjustments could be off a little but from your indication on a prior comment it sounds like you had already tried to adjust the carburetor and it didn't make any difference. At this point I would have to go back and look at the isolator flange to make sure that it is not loose.