Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have Tecumseh HM80 that I just put a new carb on. It only

Customer Question

Customer: I have Tecumseh HM80 that I just put a new carb on. It only runs smooth when the main jet valve is almost seated. 1/4 to 1/2 turn from lightly seated. To get it started I have to prime it while pressing the starter button. It idles good. How can I adjust or what adjustment am I missing.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The carberator was all gummed up so I installed a new one. I also cleaned the tank and put on new fuel hose and shutoff valve. If I go from idle to full throttle I have to do it slow or it will stall. I had to loosen a governor to remove the carb I think I got it connected how it was.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It seems to idle good. Idle is set about 1 1/4 turn from seated. Full throttle seems a little slow to.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

Is the carburetor the correct one for the HM80? Size does matter. Do you have full flow of fuel to the carburetor from the clean tank, filter and shutoff valve? From your description, sounds like it is starving for fuel. When did it last run correctly?