Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a one year old personal pace Toro that has been a

Customer Question

I have a one year old personal pace Toro that has been a great mower. However, last week I had a problem after mowing for about 30 minutes. The mower began to throttle up and down for no apparent reason. It repeated this 3 times and then simply shut off after throttling down the third time. The mower would not restart, but after letting it sit for an hour it did start. Once it started, it began throttling up and down again and eventually shut down. It was running on fresh gas and had done so long enough to burn half a tank before this problem began, so I would not think that the fuel was a problem. Any suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer my first thought is you may have water in the gas . Even if your gas and mower are kept in a shed you can get water from the pump when filling your gas cans . What happens is water is heavier than gas so it sits at the bottom of the can or tank and eventually gets to the carburetor where it gets trapped in the bowl . Do you have your model number ? Or does your mower have a Briggs or tecumseh engine on it ? The first thing to try is to drain the bowl by loosening the bolt on the bottom of the bowl of the carburetor and let some fuel run out , then retighten and try to start

Hi have you had a chance to check out your mower ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the follow-up. I have been out of town, but I will try your recommendation tomorrow, weather permitting. I'll get back to you once I give it a try.
The engine is a Briggs & Stratton, 190cc. Not sure about the model number, but the mower is a Toro 22" Recycler, Personal Pace, Self Propelled, if that helps.

Ok is it stored in a shed or under a tarp etc

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The mower and the gas cans are always stored in my garage. The main reason that I did not originally think "water in the gas" is because I filled the tank and mowed fort 30 to 40 minutes with no problems. I presumed that water would have caused a problem within the first 5 minutes or so. However, I'm still going to try your suggestion and hope that it works.

I hope so as well. I noticed you said originally that even after sitting a hour it throttled up and down and died again . Usually if it's a ring or valve issue once they sit and cool off they will run good 30 to 45 minutes before acting up and dying again . Let's rain the carburetor bowl and see how it is after that . If it's still acting up we can test the compression before starting and right after it dies , this will tell us if it is a ring or valve issue

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks. Will advise as soon as I try it out.

Ok sounds good