Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Need help with Briggs Stratton 8kw home backup generator

Customer Question

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is John.

What kind of help are you looking for? I will see if I can assist you.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Can you provide the model and serial number from the machine so that I can better assist you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello! A little history on the Generator first. It has 0.0 hours on it but has been sitting for a couple of years since it was new. It was set up for NG but just converted it to LP. It started up for the first time and ran for a few seconds then shut down displaying (Engine Overspeed) I checked the HZ output with my meter and within the 3 seconds it climbs above 300 hz any ideas?
Thanks!
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like the governor system is stuck on the engine which would explain the overspeed problem and with it overspeeding it would create a lot higher hertz and voltage output. I would check the governor linkages and make sure that they are all working freely. It could be that your pushing too much LP through your pressure regulator as well, may need to be readjusted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! The lp regulator I bought was one that is typically used on a gas bbq. I played around with the generator tonight. When it runs at half throttle it works fine and I get 60 hz. If I go less than half it kucks off on either low frequency or over voltage. If i disconnect the linkage and turn the governor shaft it only moves back and forth freely about a 1/16 turn. Does it turn more than that? There is no finre tune adjustment with this thing
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Yes the governor shaft should rotate about a 1/4 of a turn if not a little more. This could be your problem.

The gas bbq regulator may not work in this application. The gas is regulated on a bbq using the control valves on the unit, you really need an adjustable regulator on this application otherwise you have no other way to regulated the amount of lp going into the engine.