Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a troy bilt XP 7000TO 10500 STARTING WATTS GENERATOR

Customer Question

I have a troy bilt XP 7000TO 10500 STARTING WATTS GENERATOR AND IM HAVING A PROBLEM WITH IT NOT CHARGING THE BATTERY WHILE ITS RUNNING. ITS OUTTING OUT 120 V BUT ITS NOT CHARGING THE BATTERY. ANOTHER PROBLEM IS WHEN I USE MY HILTI HAMMER DRIL ITS NOT HAMMERING TO ITS FULL POWER. I HAVE TO TURN GENERATOR OFF THEN TURN IT BACK ON AND THEN IT SEEMS TO HAVE FULL POER TO THE DRILL. IS THIS RELATED TO NOT CHARGING THE BATTERY AND WHAT COULD BE CAUSING IT NOT TO CHARGE THE BATTERY WHILE ITS RUNNING?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer if it's running and not charging the battery it could be the stator / alternator which on most engines is located under the flywheel . Do you have a digital multimeter ? If so we can test the battery voltage while it's off then when it's running , if it's the same and slowly drops while running it sounds like the stator is bad , but check the wiring connections etc too

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This generator isn't equipped with a alternator.

Do you have the model number by any chance ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
030477

Ok thanks let me check diagrams on your unit . When you say it's not charging the battery you mean the battery that starts the engine etc correct ?

For the battery it should be charged by a stator which is located under the flywheel of the engine

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 10 months ago.

Hi have you had a chance to check the generator out any further ?