Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

Rick I am ***** *****, I have a toro zero turn with a kohler

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Rick I am ***** *****, I have a toro zero turn with a kohler SV590s]. I will only mow for a bout a minute and I will virtually start straight away and mow for another minute an so on and son. I have checked fuel lines replaced fuel filter checked for cracks in fuel line checked pickup in tank for cracks changed fuel pump re adjusted valves pulled carby apart cleaned, all of that has made no difference,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what are you looking for
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Small Engine Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes $18 is ok I can waite
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have removed the fuel line from the carby and wolund the motor by the starter motor and only a dribble comes out of the fuel line. Specs tells me about 2 gallons an hour is the fuel pump rate, mine would be lucky to put out a a couple of cups in that time
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.

Make a test line and attach it to the fuel pump inlet, and drop it into the fuel tank, then see if mower will run. If it does, the fuel line or the outlet from the tank is plugged!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
have tried a direct fuel line didn't solve the problem , I have removed the fuel line and there are no blockages removed the fuel line from the tank to the carby no blockages

Pulse pump? Is the pulse line coming from the rocker or crankcase good, no leaks, it is what has to power the pump. If you are not getting fuel to the carburetor, it is not going to run right, and it has to be problem in the fuel supply!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the pulse line is coming from the crank case and it is fine no cracks. the fuel pump is not supplying enough fuel I have checked and re checked all lines

Do you get a good feel/pulse from the pulse line?

Pulse line to the P port?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do get a pulse but hoe good is good

It won't be much, but has to be steady .

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it is steady

Hooked up right? Pulse line to the P port?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

And running direct line to the fuel pump from fuel container did not help? Did you try this with old pump and new pump?

If that is the case, then I question if fuel supply is problem. Have you removed the solenoid the bottom of the carburetor and tested?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have tried direct line to the carby. It will run ok with a gravity tank connected to the filter and fuel pump. but not a direct line from the original tank
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
have removed solenoid and still is removed from carby

You have a vacuum leak in the tank/supply, Did you do a vacuum test of the lines and pickup tube.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
there is not much I haven't done

If I had it , I would remove line at the carburetor, and at the fuel tank. and use a hand vacuum pump to see if it is vacuum tight. Has to be something wrong in the supply.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have dune a vacuum test on all lines even cut the clamp marks off all lines and put back. all connections have clamps

What about the tank outlet/ pickup tube? Is this a single tank or a twin tank?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
single tank and have done a vacuum test on the pick up out of the tank I have no fuel leaks or weeping hoses

If you use vacuum gage on the Pulse line , what kind of pressure/vacuum do you get when cranking?

You checked each fuel line for being open, no kinked or restricted?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Curtis I dont think a phone call would solve my problem as I feel we are just about out of question to answer

You didn't replace the lines, you said you cut them back.

I agree, site is what keeps popping up the phone call, not me!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
only cut ends of but lines are still in good nick and I have blown the lines out and there are no perishing

You say it runs fine if you run direct from container to carb, so it has to be something that is being missed. I'm not sure what else I can add! Seems like all the bases have been covered!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
when I connected the gravity feed tank up I connected it to the original line from the tank,less pickup tube not forgetting pickup tube tested ok

Pickup tube is not bottoming out in the tank?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
pickup tube is a hard plastic and it is square on the end and fitted to the tank it is on a angle. I have been trying to get to the bottom of this for 8 days, you are my last resort

Have you taken the fuel line and added a piece to it and bypassed the pickup tube?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have sucked fuel from the carby end in to my mouth I know that is not the right thing to do but when you are desperate.Suction from tank is ok

OK. I don't see that I can help. Let me opt out, and see if anyone else will offer advice!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok thanks curtis do i stay online?

do not reply to me or it locks the question!

I see no one has tried to answer. The more I look at it, seems to me , the problem has to be at the tank. It runs without the tank. Something in tank? or the suction tube is being restricted.??

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 10 months ago.

Curtis I saw this question was open. What about a faulty gas cap ? , I have had customers locally who over tightened the gas cap , or had a cap that won't breathe correctly and it killed the gas flow ?