Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Cub cadet won't start just clicks was running fine i suspect

Customer Question

Customer: cub cadet won't start just clicks was running fine i suspect the brake switch as it has been touchy to start
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: cub cadet 2166 battery is new
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Small Engine Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.

Model? Application? Cub Cadet is manufacturer, who makes nay different kinds of equipment. IF you are getting click when you turnkey to start, is battery voltage above 12.5 volts? Can you turn engine by hand? When did engine last run? If you remove spark plug will engine crank over?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Cub Cadet 2166 Lawn Tractor. Battery voltage is 12.5 or higher. I can turn engine by hand. Ran fine and went to fire it up and nothing. I suspect there is something in the brake switch as I have to push the brake in to start and it was a little touchy before it stopped. I tested ground and getting voltage to the starter.

Is the click at the starter solenoid? If so, you don't have a safety switch problem. Either low voltage to starter solenoid or a bad solenoid. If you jump the battery terminal at the solenoid, to the switch terminal on same solenoid, does engine spin? If not, for sure battery or cables. What is battery voltage when key is turned to start?