Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Issue with my Kohler Courage 19 starter It spins but won't

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** Issue with my Kohler Courage 19 starter It spins but won't engage the flywheel This is a brand new starter Voltage on battery is 11.88v
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When I turn the ignition, the new starter spins quickly, but does not rise up to engage the flywheel. I tested the battery across the terminals and from the + terminal to the block and they are both 11.88 volts
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Small Engine Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: okay
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

Battery voltage is too low to engage the flywheel! Has to be above 12. 5 for any chance, and fully charged battery would be 13.5 volts!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll put it on the trickle charger for the rest of today and see what happens tomorrow. The mower has a minor electrical grounding issue which would drain the battery, but I fixed that by installing a battery disconnect switch which I turn after every mow to preserve the battery life. With no load the battery has 11.88 volts. I'll test it in the morning to see if it is holding a better charge or if I need to replace it to get a higher voltage.Should I try and jump it now just to see if it will engage?

Yes, you can try to jump it. Just do not have jump vehicle running.

What is battery voltage when you hit start? Has to stay up above 8 volts.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Trying to figure out how to jump it back in my shed. Portable jumping battery/compressor is dead and I can't get a car back there and don't want to take the battery out of the car if don't REALLY have to. I'll wait until tomorrow.

Ok!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
As of right now, voltage on the battery when I try to start it drops to 8.5 volts when I hit the ignition.

I think with more voltage the starter will work, unless battery voltage is backwards! and starter is turning wrong direction!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i saw that on another web page as something to check. The starter is spinning clockwise like it should. I double checked the starter manually by spinning the bendix gear. It will extend out when turning slowly manually clockwise like the direction it spins when I hit the ignition. My last hope is this voltage sag from the battery. What else could it be? Especially with a brand new starter which I purchased today 1/9/16.

Has to be battery voltage!