Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I h ave a sears 5.0 horsepower .snow thrower modelcan not

Customer Question

Customer: I h ave a sears 5.0 horsepower .snow thrower model###-##-####can not shut off with key. I disassebbled and found black ignition wire off. Bolt on top of engine missing. Question is the blackwire a ground and does it bolt to the top of engine? Hate to put back together and find that I was wrong the only I shut the engine off wqas to chock and push into snow bankcurrently we hae no snow but coming.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: is the black wire a ground and does iit bolt to the top of engine?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Small Engine Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Black wire should go to the coil ad it has to be grounded by the keyswitch when it is turned off. Coil has to be grounded to stop engine!