JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I'm ***** *****. I left the fuel valve open and the engine

Customer Question

Customer: Hi I'm ***** *****. I left the fuel valve open and the engine flooded. I drained the oïl, cleaned the intake manifold and carb, replaced the plugs. (OHVI 992 engine). It starts fine but will only run if I spray fuel in the carb air filter side. Is there a reset of some sort or is the fuel solenoid in problem? TKS!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The engine was full of gas and oïl which I drained and replaced with the oïl filter. The intake manifold had oïl in it and I took it off as well as the carb. I removed the carb, fuel bowl and cleaned it all and blew air in the jets. The fuel pump works fine. Cyl compression was way high (250 PSI) but I suspect it was because of oil in them. Gas was pouring out the exhaust muffler when I found out the issue.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Small Engine Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: No prob. I'll be back in 15 min.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

The only reason that you would be getting fuel into the crankcase like that is if the float or float valve is sticking and not sealing. I would make certain that the float valve moves freely in the carburetor bore, it sounds like it may be stuck in the closed position now and not allowing for any fuel to enter the bowl of the carburetor which will cause the engine to not run on its own as you are indicating since you have to spray fuel into the carburetor to get it to start. The fuel solenoid if you have one could cause you to not get fuel to run but will not cause the carburetor to overflow like it did and have fuel in the crankcase. If you need additional assistance feel free to ask.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.