JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

How to remove part number 21 to replace Troy Bilt auger?

Customer Question

Trying to replace the auger and having trouble removing part number 21, the large pulley. Looking for instructions on how to remove it.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

The pulley is threaded onto the end of the auger shaft. If you look at the pulley it has a hex on it that you put a wrench on in order to remove it. The key will be holding the auger shaft to keep it from turning while you remove the pulley. If you have an impact wrench it will make the job easier however you can normally lodge something in the auger assembly to keep it from turning while you remove the pulley. Let me know if you need additional assistance with this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried lodging a piece of wood to hold the auger in place while trying to turn the pully. Simply can't get it to budge.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It is left hand thread, so you will turn it to the right or clockwise to remove it. I am sorry I should have mentioned that in my prior comment.