Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

CRAFTSMAN ENGINE STARTS ; however the engine quits when I

Customer Question

CRAFTSMAN ENGINE STARTS ; however the engine quits when I try to go forward as I let off the foot brake.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Need the model number from under the seat area. Example 917-12345. Your seat switch and brake switch, work together for the start circuit and the run circuit. The run circuit is not compete. Usually it is seat switch problem,or the wires to it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I try to engage the 'lower the deck arm' in front of the steering wheel the engine also turns off the engine; I'm sitting on the seat while I let off the brake which also stops the engine..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
02 January 2016 01:06
When I try to engage the 'lower the deck arm' in front of the steering wheel the engine also turns off the engine; I'm sitting on the seat while I let off the brake which also stops the engine.. I checked the 20amp fuse .... that's OK. I'll try to check the wiring in case it's shorted for some reason.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Is seat switch a two wire switch or four wire? If four wire, it can be problem. Do you have the model number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
going outside to get that. will be right back. model###-##-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's possible that rain got to the connection assembly under the seat (before everything froze up this week).
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Looking at the diagram, the seat switch or the brake switch is not completing the run circuit.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a volt/ohm meter to check the switches?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you tell me where the brake switch is located? Yes ... I have a OHM meter.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

# ***** is the brake interlock. See location on frame ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correlated the brake switch #16 in the diagram to the lawnmower frame..... What I'm also confused about is why the deck lowering/raising arm shuts off the engine also. Would the fact that rain water getting into ignition switch via the inserted key have anything to do with it?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

No, but the deck/raise lower switch can. See the interlock switch. # *****