Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have 23 hp Kohler engine in an Cub Cadet made in 2006 I am

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** have 23 hp Kohler engine in an Cub Cadet made in 2006 I am having trouble starting it with a the standard battery I have to jump start it , I have been told the engine has a de compression inn built in the engine is this true as it is hard to turn over when it is on full compression can you help me
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

Kohler does use a compression release, but this engine is not hard to start. Do you have a voltmeter to test the battery voltage and the voltage at the starter when trying to start? I suspect you have a bad starter or cables! And what is the battery CCA rating?

Page 8-10 shows the decompression lever, on the back side of the camshaft gear.

If battery voltage drops lower than 8 volts at the starter when trying to start, battery or cable problem. Or run a compression test and see if compression is above 120 psi. If it is, the decompression lever is not working, If lower, I would replace the starter!