JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a Storm 2620 Snowblower - almost brand new and used

Customer Question

I have a Storm 2620 Snowblower - almost brand new and used just 3 times.. I have a rhythmic bang as the augers go around and I believe (from looking) that one of the augers has managed to overlap another and on each rotation as the go through each other that's the bang - make sense? (Hope so as I'm not technically minded!) Is there a way for me to free them without having to find a maintenance place that'll keep it a week and charge a fortune.....it's literally 12 months old and used 3 times. I do know enough to make sure there's no power and the augers can't "turn themselves on" - I like my fingers!
Advice?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

The only problem with what you are saying is that both of the augers pieces should be turning at the same time so that they would never contact each other. The only exception to this would be if the shear pin for one of then has broken and fallen out which would explain the augers getting together and would also cause the one to not turn like it should and the other one would contact it and make the bang noise that you are hearing. Take a close look to make certain that the shear pins are in both of the augers.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi John - the 4 shear pins are intact but two of the augers definitely catching on each other - could one have been knocked enough off line - though they're prey tough...
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can take a picture and show you if u like...

Even if the are touching each other you should never hear a noise because they turn at the same time so they would never rub together. They may be rubbing something else however because it sounds like one or the other could be bent. Take a close look across the bottom of the blower and see if it looks like something has been rubbing, you should see the paint rubbed off.

If you can take a picture and attach it to your comment it might be helpful.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No sign of any paint being rubbed off anywhere - looks brand new -
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks

After looking at your pictures I can't see anything that looks like it would be making a noise. I can make one other suggestion and this is to have someone else help you if possible. Have someone start and engage the auger system as if you were going to blow snow with it while you stand out front of the machine and watch to see if you can tell more about what is making the noise. The auger blades themselves both turn at the same time since they are both attached to the same shaft they can't physically rub together to make a banging noise unless the shear pin is missing in one of them and we have already determined that this is not the case on your machine. The only other spot that looked like a rub to me was at the intake of the fan to the lower right but it might have been oxidation or salt residue I couldn't make it out really well.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.