Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a 2005 Cub RTZ 50 that quit pulling on both trans at

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****. I have a 2005 Cub RTZ 50 that quit pulling on both trans at the same time. I replaced the drive belt but no go. The blades still engage but there is no drive at all.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Was going forward on pavement when it quit pulling. No warning.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Small Engine Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes, no problem.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Hello Nickey. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Do you have the models numbers from under your seat available? I would like to pull up your mower, to see which hydro units you have.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Your mower have two individual Hydro-Gear Transaxles. It is extremely rare for both Transaxles to fail, at the exact same time. So, it is safe to assume that your Transaxles are just fine.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

I need to ask you some troubleshooting questions. You stated that you replaced your drive belt. What was the condition of your old belt? Was it loose or broken?

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

I will attach a link to an image for you.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Please take a look at part #33 in the image. This is your drive belt. Let me know if this is the belt you replaced.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Keep in mind that your mower have two belts. Transaxle Drive Belt, and your Deck/Blade Drive Belt. We can continue from here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Donald, sorry for the delay. We are attending an Aunt's funeral services today so I am in and out. Yes, it was the drive belt that I replaced. It was twisted backwards and cracked almost in half about about every 4 - 6 inches or so on the inside (beveled side). I agree with you that I don't think it is a transmission problem. I'm thinking PTO clutch or key way that is bad. I do not have the model numbers as I am now in Florida and i live in South Carolina. Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Nickey, no problem. You truly have my sympathy over the passing of your aunt. I hope all end well for you and your family. There is not a time limit on our discussion. I will work with you, until you and I figure out what is causing our problem.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

I already have your model numbers. If your blades are spinning properly, then your key way is very likely ok. Your pto clutch will not affect the performance of your Transaxles. So, we can rule out your pto clutch, as a possible cause of our problem.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Your Transaxles are driven by a pulley that is separate from your pto clutch pulley. It is possible that your upper drive belt pulley is worn internally, and slipping on your crankshaft.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Take your time. We can continue when it is convenient for you.