Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Ariens snowblower shuts off after 2 minutes. Idles up and

Customer Question

Ariens snowblower shuts off after 2 minutes. Idles up and down.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello Victor. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Many times when this problem occurs, it is an indication that your carburetor has either a partially clogged jet, or a partially clogged fuel passage, and is starving for fuel.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Did our problem occur suddenly? How old is the gas you are using?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took the carburetor off and it looks clean on the bottom. I also looked at the bottom bolt and the side screw and both look very clean. I can take it off again and take a picture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't actually remove the carb off, I took the bottom cover off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
gas is new. The problem was also present last year. It was still working last year.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I believe your engine is a Tecumseh Engine? Did you initially have old gas in your fuel tank, leftover from last year?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did have some old gas in the fuel tank. Yes Tecumseh Engine. Do you need the numbers from the engine?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Please take a look at the image below. Let me know if your carburetor looks the same.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another thing is that when I start it I close the choke it starts, after that I have to immediately open the choke.
If I don't open it, the engine dies.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Some of the old gas from your fuel tank, also settled in your fuel bowl. This is what caused our problem. Gas will began to turn stale, within thirty days from date of purchase. Stale gas will eventually turn to gum and varnish, and clog the small jets and fuel passages inside your carburetor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it doesn't match.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is only one bolt at the bottom.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for checking. Can you get your model numbers for me? This way I can pull up your exact carburetor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
getting it now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You can also take a picture of the bottom bolt from your carburetor, if you remove it again. I can point out some things for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the picture with engine numbers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will go and remove the bolt. You just want the picture of the bolt?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the numbers. The carburetor in the image I posted is the same as the one I pulled up using your exact model numbers. I just wanted to be sure. Take a picture of your bolt, and the inside of your bowl.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is strange on the picture there is 32 and 33. I don't have it on the carb. I will take the picture.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks! Take a look at this image below.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

#32 & #33 is your Bowl Drain Assembly. Some bowls have drains, and some do not. This is why the image shows two bowls, one with it, and one without it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I didn't look at the picture on the left.
I have the pictures, posting now.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the pictures. Here is what I want to point out. Take a close look at your bowl bolt. There are some small holes in it. Use a small wire to clean each of the holes. A twist tie from a loaf of bread will work really well for this purpose. Just remove the outer coating first. Afterward spray it really good with some carburetor cleaner in a can. Remember to look closely, so you don't miss one of the holes. One is extremely small.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Try this first. Many times this will resolve our problem, if the holes are clogged, or partially clogged. If this does not resolve our problem, then you will need to remove your carburetor, and do some more detailed cleaning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have carb cleaner in this house. I will buy it tomorrow.
The bolt is completely clean. No dirt at all. I have seen a dirty bolt on my other blower.
The holes are also clean. There is one through hole on the bottom. I put the small wire through it.
The other tiny hole is also clean. I don't see any dirt on the carb float or any other visible area.
Usually it is dark black.
Thanks,
Victor
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome!

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Victor, also check your fuel flow, from your fuel tank to your carburetor. Let's make sure you are getting a continuous flow of fuel. Loosen your fuel cap, just in case your fuel cap is not properly venting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I check the fuel flow? Open the valve and prime? I just put it back together and tried to run it again:
Noticed smoke coming out of the carb after the engine died.
While it was running:
It looks like it is revving high/low. I can see the throttle control on the carburetor going back and forth.
I will try to loosen the fuel cap.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it time to take off the carb?Do you have any instructions on what to remove and how to clean it.
I have never done this before. I will take a picture of how everything is attached.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Yes, take pictures, and make notes as you go. Take a look at the video above. There other videos available as well. To check your fuel flow, remove your fuel hose from your carburetor, and let it flow into a suitable container.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The video just shows how to remove the bowl and clean it. I would like to know what I need to clean when I take the carb off.
The gasket for the bolt doesn't look good. I need to get a new one.Should I just order a new carb from amazon for $14?
http://www.amazon.com/TECUMSEH-640349-LH318SA-LH358SA-CARBURETOR/dp/B00KI11FFU/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1451438926&sr=1-1&keywords=Carburetor+LH358SA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or this?http://www.amazon.com/PsmGood-Tecumseh-Snowblower-Generator-Shredder/dp/B00O9SYHH6/ref=sr_1_5?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1451438926&sr=1-5&keywords=Carburetor+LH358SA
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

A new carburetor will be a great choice. This will eliminate the possibility of you cleaning your carburetor, and it still not work to your satisfaction. If you replace your carburetor, I suggest that you clean your fuel tank, and also replace your fuel hose.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

There are times when I am not successful with cleaning a carburetor. I have an ultrasonic cleaner, and chemical to soak my carburetors. I still have to periodically replace carburetors.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes it saves time, and get your engine back up and running successfully quicker.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

The seller in the first link have the most reviews, and carburetors sold. I personally would choose this one ...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you make suggestions on how to clean a fuel tank?
Also, are you talking about the primer line to the carb or the actual fuel hose or both?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to remove the tank to clean it?Thanks!
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I would replace both. This way you will have a fresh start. It is best to remove your fuel tank to clean it. First drain all of your existing fuel out of it. Once it is empty, shine a flashlight into it, and give it a good internal inspection. If all look good internally, you will not need to remove it.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

The reason for ensuring that your fuel tank is clean, is to prevent cross contaminating your new carburetor. I have seen new carburetors fail rather quickly, due to sediments from a dirty fuel tank.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If you can purchase non ethanol gas in your area, I recommend that you start using it. It cost more per gallon, but it is well worth the extra cost. It will help to prevent future fuel related issues. If you cannot find non ethanol fuel in your area, I suggest that you purchase your fuel in small increments. In amounts that you can use up within thirty days. There is a fuel additive called Ethanol Shield that you can pour into your gas. It will eliminate water in your fuel, and also prevent corrosion in your carburetor. It also stabilizes your fuel, which is VERY important.

Ethanol Shield - Click Here

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Click on the link above to read about the product. It is inexpensive, and you can purchase it at your local Tractor Supply, Home Depot, Sears, etc.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Victor, this information should get your engine up and running successfully again!