Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Hank! I stumbled upon your conversation with a customer from

Customer Question

Customer: Good morning Hank! I stumbled upon your conversation with a customer from 2 years ago regarding a Honda EX4500 Generator. Hoping you can help me with mine now!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a EX4500 that worked great for several years, then all of a sudden stopped producing power. After reading and talking with some friends I flashed the coil and it started producing power again...this would last several days then it would die off again. I replaced the brushes and AVR because the previous owner used some cheap non OEM parts. Flashed the coil again, same issue. I finally found some time to tear into it and perform some tests. Resistance at the slip rings in 65 ohms, within spec per the service manual if I remember correctly. The stator was reading a bit higher than spec but it was cold that day and I cant remember exactly what the readings were... Basically what would you recommend my next step to be?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Small Engine Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yeah I can wait, its been an ongoing issue, no big rush.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: Very good, thank you sir.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 11 months ago.

If you keep losing residual magnetism like that, it is due to a bad rotor. Something has happened to the physical properties of the steel to not allow it to hold residual magnetism.

Your only option is to live with it or replace the rotor.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Alright so if the physical properties changed, is getting the rotor rewound out of the question? I have a spare rotor from a "parts generator" I can throw in but would ultimately like to either have the original one rebound or replaced.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 11 months ago.

Rewinding would do no good. It is not the windings that hold the magnetism - it is the steel itself.

If you have another rotor, you could swap it out.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 11 months ago.

Was this what you wanted to know?