Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Gravely XL 48. I tried to push it about an inch

Customer Question

I have a Gravely XL 48 . I tried to push it about an inch back to make room for my snow blower, and no it will not start. The battery is fully charged but I turn the key it does not make a sound. I rest the parking brake several times, disconnected the battery to check the charge, reconnected and nothing. The only time I can get it to click is if I engage the mower switch. it will make a small click noise. Is there a way to reset the safety switches?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

In answer to your question about the safety switches, no there is not a reset or a way to reset them. All that you can do is make certain that all control levers are in the proper positions for starting. If all you are getting is a small click when you engage the mower deck switch then it sounds like a battery issue. Did you have the battery load tested? It may not be holding up under a load which would explain the no start and the small click. If the battery is fully charged and holding up under a load and you engage the mower deck switch you should hear a very noticeable click from the PTO clutch more like a loud clunk. The first thing that I would do in this case is have the battery load tested.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When I disconnected the battery I did a load test and it is good. The machine has less than 100 hours and had just stared prior to me pushing on it. I tried several ways to make sure the drive was in neutral, such as moving the controls slightly forward and letting the brake move them back to neutral. I also checked to see if the brake safety switch was completely depressed which it is. Like I said the only time it makes a noise is when i engage the mower whether it is a click or a clunk I'm not sure didn't have my hearing aids on. a noticeable noise. what next?

If it had just started prior then it makes me think that you don't have all of the safety switches activated. I would have to go back and check all controls to make sure that they are in proper positions to allow the machine to start. If you have a volt meter you could do some voltage checks to help identify where the problem is actually at. It would require that you have access to the starter solenoid and the safety switches in order to do these tests or checks.