Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My name is ***** *****, I have a JD buck 500 and it just

Customer Question

Customer: Hi My name is ***** *****, I have a JD buck 500 and it just stopped running and it wont start back up. It turns over but seems like theirs no spark.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My son was riding the ATV and it killed, he tried starting it and it wouldn't fire back up. He thought it was out of gas so he filled the tank and still couldn't get it started. It does turn over but doesn't sound like theirs any spark. I checked the plugs and they were good.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Small Engine Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

Did you check for spark, by removing the spark plug wire and attaching it to a spare spark plug, and with plug grounded, crank and watch for spark? If no spark, check the oil pressure switch and water temp switch, as either switch can kill the spark through the engine control module. This is Trail Buck?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
this is a trial Buck

Ok, check for spark.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will do thank you

If no spark, and not a oil or water switch bad, you have the coil and the igniter to deal with! Cheapest to replace would be the coil. But I don't have a test procedure for the coil or igniter.