Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a new 920021 compact 24 and the drive and reverse

Customer Question

I have a new 920021 compact 24 and the drive and reverse gears are not engaging/working, any help you can offer would be great.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Does the machine roll and turn side to side easily when not running? If it does the first thing that I would check is to make certain that both wheels are pinned or locked onto the axle, if they are not then the machine will not operate properly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi John,
The machine operated for about 2 minutes with the left wheel locked and right unlocked before failing to go into drive. I have since locked both wheels but no luck. There is a fair amount of slack in the adjustment cable (right side) and it makes a clunking noise when engaged, could the slack be causing the problem ?MikeMike
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the slack in the cable could be causing your problem. The clunking noise though sounds like something may have come loose or apart inside the drive assembly. Both wheels must be locked on the machine in order for the drive to work properly. Make certain that you have the wheels locked into the proper holes in the axle. Most of the axles will have two holes in them one outer and one inner, the wheels need to be locked into the inner holes in order to keep everything together and operate properly. If you lock into the outer holes it could allow the bushings to come out of the frame where the axle goes through and then the drive would not operate properly.