Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My Honda GX 340 in a Brister Chuckwagon carbons the spark

Customer Question

Customer: My Honda GX 340 in a Brister Chuckwagon carbons the spark plug after about 20 - 25 minutes. I have installed a new carb., adjusted to cure any rich mixture, and it still carbons plug. I install a new plug and drive away: once I am at least a mile away from home, it starts to sputter and require choke to keep running. If I pull the pug at that point, its already carboned.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Spark plug covered in carbon after only few minutes running. New carburetor, adjusted, still occurs.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Small Engine Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes. Is this a human or computer generated response?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

What do you have for a choke? Carbon on plug has to be too much fuel/too little air. Is the choke fully open? Is the air cleaner clean and not restricted, acting as a choke?

If you pull air cleaner off the carburetor and run it, does it still carbon up? If it does, check the other end, see if the exhaust could be restricted. ??? Id exhaust can't get out, fuel loads up in the cylinder.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The restricted exhaust makes sense. I have run without air cleaner, adjusted for lean mixture, etc. and it still does the same thing. Too late to work on it tonight with storms in my area, but I will check exhaust tomorrow. Likely the problem since the machine sat broke down for nearly a year in a dirt dobber infested area. Thanks and if that doesn't work, you will hear from me again.

Ok,Thanks let me know.