Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a standby generator with a 20 hp Honda engine. It

Customer Question

I have a standby generator with a 20 hp Honda engine. It would not start this winter so I squirted gas into the throat of the carburetor and it would run then. I removed the electric solenoid from the carburetor and determined it was not operating.
I used carb cleaner to free up the plunger and it is working fine now. My question is the only time there is power to the solenoid seems to be when the starter is engaged. Is it kept open by the charging system circuit when the engine is running? Or is there a malfunction in my rocker switch. The switch has Off, Run and Start positions.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Don replied 11 months ago.

Hi there my name is don i will try to help you on this

does the generator shut off when you us the switch ?

Expert:  Don replied 11 months ago.

it does however sound like the switch the way you are describing it

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yep
Expert:  Don replied 11 months ago.

put in a jumper wire and see if it stays running

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I activated the solenoid with a battery charger and used a tester to determine that there is power to the solenoid when the starter is engaged, but not when it is in the run position. That is why I am wondering if the charging system somehow provides the power to keep it open when it is running there seems to somehow be some wiring connected to the solenoid wire and the charging wires. I haven't put it back on the engine yet so I am not sure it will run. I was trying to trace out the electric thing to make sure there wasn't a problem there.
Expert:  Don replied 11 months ago.

hi there thanks for that great information

once running it should bre supplying power to the switch as the contacts should be closed now so no break in the circuit

i would say that there is a problem between the run and start cycle similar to your vehicle ignition

in this case i believe the rocker switch is indeed pooched

don

Expert:  Don replied 11 months ago.

but do let me know please

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will get it back together in a couple days here, and will try it out. I will let you know.
Expert:  Don replied 11 months ago.

k sounds good have a great christmas and talk to you soon

don

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hey Don,Re: my Honda generator. Got it all back together. Runs great. There wasn't anything wrong with the switch. It was just that there were diodes in the charging circuit that prevented the power from the charging system from feeding back to the starter solenoid. We didn't see them right away so it was really tracing out the wiring that had us confused. Anyway, all is well.
Thanks for your opinions! Appreciated the help.
Dave