JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a troybilt vac that hardly looks like its ever been

Customer Question

I have a troybilt chipper vac that hardly looks like its ever been used, found at garage sale. (I think its model 47279 ) I got it running very nicely but the suction is poor. So I took off the fan cover and cleaned it out. There are no cracks in the fan and no debris or clogs in the intake or output areas. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant to say there are no cracks in the HOSE, sorry. The ring around the fan is not at all bent, and the fan blades look normal to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to have to assume that there is a belt connecting the engine to the drive, so I'll replace and or adjust. What else could it be really, thanks anyway. I'll be back if that doesnt work.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It doesn't appear that the model number you had posted in your prior information is a good model number. I have searched for this model and can't find anything on it. Regardless, most of the older Troybilt units did have a belt that run the fan or impeller and chances are that is going to be your problem. The belt is old and or stretched out and is slipping which is causing the fan to not spin as fast as it should. I would replace it and give the machine a try and see what happens. The only other thing that have seen on these units that cause a loss of suction is if the fan becomes damaged which you have indicated that yours looks good so I don't believe that it would be a problem. If you need additional assistance feel free to ask. If you can get a good model and serial number from the machine it would be helpful.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.