Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a honda hrr216 overhead valve honda lawnmower, that

Customer Question

hello sir, i have a honda hrr216 overhead valve honda lawnmower, that wont start and backfires through the carburetor, i though it might be the valves needing adjusting but even after i set them to factory setting the intake at .15 and the exhaust at .20 nothing has changed if you could please help! danny
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Have you tried replacing the spark plug. The Honda engine is very temperamental about the plug, the plug may look fine and you can't see anything wrong with it but I have seen this problem occur a number of times and all I had to do was replace the spark plug. The valve adjustments that you have are too wide the clearances should be .004 - .006 inches on the overhead valve engine so you will most likely need to readjust them again to proper settings. However it should allow the engine to start the way that they are.