Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a SS822EX Snapper snowblower and the first time i

Customer Question

I have a SS822EX Snapper snowblower and the first time i used it this year it started first time and i cleared the snow just fine. It kept snow and so latter that day i went out to blow again and the blower would start for about 3 seconds and then quit and it is still doing it. What could be the problem.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Our problem is very likely carburetor related. How old is the fuel you are using?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
With in a month
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for your reply. Are you familiar with removing the fuel/float bowl from your carburetor?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No but I could figure it out
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Ok. If you remove the nut/bolt that secures your fuel bowl to the body of your carburetor, you will see some small holes in your bowl nut/bolt.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Use a small wire to clean the holes in your bowl nut really well. Also clean your fuel bowl, then try starting your engine again. Let's see if this helps ...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
under my carburetor there is a dome shape cape with a bolt. I undid that and fuel dripped out. There was a white donut shaped plastic ring but could not get that out. I let some of the gas drip out and put it back on and started it with the same result. Are you talking about the bolt that holds that cap on?
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Is your engine a Briggs & Stratton 205 cc engine? I am referring to the bowl that holds your gas. The bolt that you removed, should have some very small holes in it. You can use a twist tie from a loaf of bread, to clean these holes.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

We can continue from here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
that is the bolt I took out and cleaned. It sill dose not work.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I redid that and used a paper clip to cleaned out the holes and it is working now. Should I put carburetor cleaner in the gas tank?
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Very good! I would put a fuel additive called Mechanic In A Bottle inside your fuel tank. It works really well, and it is designed to clean your carburetor, without you having to remove it.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Please click on the link above, to take a look at it. You can purchase a bottle at Sears, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, etc.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank You.
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome! I hope all continues to go well for you.