JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I recently purchased a 2005 Deere HPX from a auction. I got

Customer Question

Hello Doug , I recently purchased a 2005 john Deere HPX from a auction. I got it serviced oil change , tune up ecte. It want running right when I got it . When I got it back from service I started to experience more problems with it . It would not stay started I need to keep jumping the battery. I called the service place and took it in they told me I needed new alternator and battery I agreed to do the service. I got it back yesterday and this morning I went to start it and it needs a jump it's doing the same thing it did before the new alternator and battery. What do you think is going on ?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It sounds like you have a short in the wiring somewhere that is draining the battery when the machine is sitting. If both the battery and alternator are new then I would have the wiring checked closely for shorts or damage. The only other thing that could drain the battery like that is if the alternator were shorted out internally but you wouldn't think that it would be a problem since you have a new one on the machine. I would trace all the wiring and make sure that nothing is grounded out to the frame or that none of the wires have gotten hot and melted to each other which would cause the short. You could always check for a voltage draw on the battery when the machine is sitting and not running. If you have a volt meter you could attach it to the battery and watch the VDC while to machine is sitting to see if it is dropping, this would at least tell you that there is something draining the battery.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.