Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I bought a 721 E brand new this year. I used it once and it

Customer Question

I bought a 721 E brand new this year. I used it once and it worked great. I had to go out of town and my wife used it and ran it out of gas. She put gas in it from the same gas can I filled it up with originally and now it won't start. When I got back in town I tried to start it and noticed the pull cord is much harder to pull. I have tried using the eletric start and that won't start it either. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is Donald. I will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

How old is your gas? The reason I am asking, is because if your gas is older than thirty days old, this could be part of our problem. Gas will turn stale within thirty days, from date of purchase. This is why manufacturers recommend that you purchase gas in amounts small enough to use within thirty days.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Keep in mind that stale gas will turn to gum and varnish, and contaminate your carburetor. I suggest that you drain all of the old gas from your fuel tank, and refill with newly purchased, fresh fuel. Also, check your gas can, to see if there are sediments floating around inside.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

If you engine will not start after you fill your fuel tank with fresh gas, remove your spark plug, and pour about a teaspoon of gas directly into your spark plug hole. Re-insert your spark plug, then try starting your engine again.

Expert:  Donald replied 11 months ago.

Reed, we can continue from here. Thanks!