Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I contacted you a short while ago about possible valvetrain

Customer Question

Customer: I contacted you a short while ago about possible valvetrain problems with a Briggs & Stratton 310,000 engine. If you still have that copy of our conversation and a satisfaction guaranteed policy I believe that I would like to see if you can find out more information.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It seems to be revolved around the valvetrain and the fact that the automatic compression release will not allow the engine to start. If you remember our previous conversation, we discussed that the camshaft had been replaced under warranty in the first year of the engine's service. The engine is 3 1/2 years old and has given this problem intermittently ever since the major service. The engine will spin over fine with the plug removed so it's not locked up internally. You might also remember that I contacted Briggs & Stratton and the local servicing dealer about this problem. To make matters worse, I thought I was on the verge of getting it to start but burn the starter up. When the engine was running, it gave no indication of any sort of problem. However, whenever I turned the engine off, I never had complete confidence that it was going to crank again the next time. The last time I cranked it, a couple weeks ago, it cracked perfectly. When I turned it off to replace a couple of safety switches, it would only crank to the compression stroke. What am I missing here? Is there some regular maintenance that needs to be done to avoid this occurrence? I'm baffled.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Small Engine Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Okay
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

Do you have a compression gage to test the compression? If compression is above 100 psi, the compression release is not working It is a spring loaded weight on the back side of the camshaft gear.

Sounds like this camshaft was replaced under the warranty.

You can try to adjust the valves, setting them to the close side, around ,004 inch. If adjusting the valves does not help , the camshaft compression release is likely problem, and the only solution is to replace the camshaft again!